Prof. S.M. Shivaprasad
Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR) Bangalore- 560064, India
Personal: Professor S.M. Shivaprasad was born in Bengaluru in 1957 and is the son of the literary couple Late Prof Vrushabhendra Swamy and Late Prof Lalithamba Swamy of Karnatak University, Dharwad.
Scholastic (Karnatak University, Dharwad):
- B Sc (Physics Major): First Class
- M Sc (Solid State Physics): First Class
- Ph D (Thin Films)
- D Sc (Honorius Causa)
- Masters and Ph D: M.Sc (1979) Ph.D (1982) in Solid State Physics from Karnatak University, Dharwad.
- Post-doctoral research: Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi and University of Sussex, UK
- Scientist: National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi, 1985 to 2007 (Chief Scientist and Head, Surface Physics and Nanostructures Group).
- Professor: Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, since 2007
Fields of interest: Surface science, thin films and nanostructures of semiconductors. Elucidated on metal-metal and metal-semiconductor interfaces, III-nitride films and nanostructures
- 220 research papers in international journals
- 190 Conference Presentations
- 315 Invited Talks
- 3 Authored/Edited Books
- United Nations (UNIDO) Fellow at National Institute of Standards and Technology, USA,
- Visiting Scientist at Rutgers University, USA,
- United Nations (UNIDO) Fellow at Tohoku University, Japan.
- Visiting Scientist at University of Ulm in Germany.
- Young Scientist Award from the President of India (1992),
- Outstanding Scientist award from CSIR (NPL) (2005),
- Medal Lecture Award (2006), from Materials Research Society of India
- Supercond and Materials Science Prize, Materials Res Society of India, (2012)
- C.N.R. Rao Oration Award (2010),
- Dr Raja Ramanna Karnataka State Govt. Senior Scientist Award (2013)
- Hon. Doctorate D Sc (hc): from VSK University, Ballary, (2016)
- Commonwealth Post Doctoral Fellowship of London
- BOYSCAST fellowship of DST, Govt of India
- United Nations UNIDO fellowship from Vienna (twice)
- RAK-CAM International Fellowship from Saudi Arabia
- CSIR- JRF, SRF, PDF and Pool Officer Scholarships
- National Merit Scholarship, Govt of India
- Indian Representative to the International Union of Vacuum Science Technology Applications, USA
- Joint Secretary for Materials Research Society of India (MRSI), India.
- Advisory Board of BEL-Optoelectronics for the development of Night Vision devices
- Advisory Board of Srisol Research Foundation as Consultant for smart materials.
- Representative to the World Materials Research Institutions Forum, Japan
- Representative to Europe-India Cooperation for Nanotechnology, Netherlands.
Accomplished Cricket Player, played Sussex County and DDCA Leagues. He represented his schools, colleges of Karnatak and Sussex Universities in Cricket and Table Tennis.