National Institute of Technology Nagaland is one of the newly established Institutes by MHRD under the NIT Act 2007 to impart technical education and to promote research activities in the North East region.
As one of the premier institutions for higher education in the North Eastern part of the country, NIT Nagaland endeavors to implement a state of the art, I.T. Infrastructure in its campus with the aim to achieve the following goals:
• Create a 21st century learning environment to enable highly interactive and collaborative learning and teaching experiences while delivering any content,anytime, anywhere, to any device.
• Increase operational efficiencies by using the network as a platform and optimizing datacenter design to extend cost reduction, improve utilization of network capacity, and add facilities to the users to collaborate.
• Design and implement secure connected users in the network, classrooms, LABs that serve the educational needs of students and faculty by leveraging network and application control
• Increase teacher effectiveness and improve student's outcome.
Objective in Setting up of Campus Area LAN
NIT Nagaland is building the Campus Network, Datacenter, IP Telephony and Wireless Network to enhance the computing facility of the Institute by deploying several dedicated Servers to run various applications which will include following main components:
• Campus Networking components - for Data, Voice & Video Communication
• Network Security - Firewall & Antivirus
• Servers & Storage - for enhancing the computing facilities and protecting the Data
An appropriate I.T. Infrastructure has been built to set up data, voice and video connectivity in the campus and among the users in the campus. With the help of this infrastructure, the Institute aims to distribute high-speed Internet in the campus and connectivity among the users which will improve teaching effectiveness, student outcomes, administrative efficiency, simplify operations and support complex research initiatives in higher education. The infrastructure connects the various sections of the campus viz., administrative building, academic and residential (staff quarters, Hostels, Guest House, etc.) with a high speed wired connectivity and with a backup of wireless access as well. The architected backbone would allow data, voice and video traffic seamlessly across the various sections of the campus.
With the existing I.T. infrastructure, it is proposed to create Smart Classroom facility through which the guest faculty / expert shall deliver lectures over the Internet and recruiters shall conduct their recruitment process from any part of the country using Video-conferencing.
Highlights of Campus Networking
• High-speed Campus Network - using Single Mode Fiber-optic cabling to connect the various buildings in the campus and Cat 6 A UTP Cabling inside the building to support Gigabit data transfer to the users' desk.
• Network Architecture is designed to support 10G bandwidth in the backbone connectivity in future when no of network users increases in the campus.
• Wireless Network in the campus for users to connect their laptops, smart phones. PDA, Tablets, etc for easy access to internet and network of the institute.
• Offers video-based professional exchanges
• Provides a phone number in every classroom, LABs, Hostels, Quarters, Guest House, Administrative staff, faculties and a voicemail account for key personnel.
• Uses digital signs and video to communicate more effectively with outstation faculty and recruiters.
• Automate registration and curriculum sharing, with ease of access to applications and software(s).
• Shares scarce resources across multiple sites.
• Extends beyond college boundaries.
The existing I.T. infrastructure would be another step in advancing NIT Nagaland among the top Institutes of the country.